Selection criteria for transducers:
Transducers are the instruments which converts non-electric signals into an electric signal. So while selecting any type of transducers for any special purpose, we should think about its specifications or characteristics. Any transducer is based on a simple concept that physical property of a sensor must be altered by an external stimulus to cause that property either to produce an electric signal or to modulate an external electric signal. Selection criteria of a transducer is based on different factors, such as availability, cost, power consumption, environmental conditions, etc. After considering all these factors we can select a best one for our use.
Selection of the transducer among the many available mainly depends upon:
- Input characteristics
- Transfer characteristics
- Output characteristics
The following points must be considered, while selecting a transducer for any application or a particular application
- This is one of the most important characteristic, while selecting a transducer. By considering input characteristics we can determine, what type of input is needed for that transducer? What is the operating range for that transducer? What is the loading effect on that transducer?
- Type of input
- Operating range
- Loading effect
- Transfer characteristics also plays very important role in selection of transducer. Transfer characteristics means, the effects on the signal when it is being processed. Errors and hysteresis also occurs when the signal is being processed. Following are some major transfer characteristics which we should keep in mind while selecting a transducer for any special purpose:
- Transfer function ( input output relation)
- Error and hysteresis
- Accuracy and precision
- Response of transducer to the environment influences
- As we all know, while we are doing some work, we always set some goal or aimed for output. Similarly for our use we should first think about what type of output we required? So here output characteristics plays a vital role while selecting a special type of transducer. Some of the output characteristics are summarized below:
- Type of output
- Output impedance
- Useful range
- Life span: It determines how long the selected transducer will work.
- Availability: While selecting a transducer we should think about its availability.
- Stability and reliability
- Purpose: indication, recording or control
You may also like:
- Introduction to sensors and transducers
- Experiment to determine characteristics of Thermistor
- CLASSIFICATION OF TRANSDUCERS
If you like this article, please share it with your friends and like or facebook page for future updates. Subscribe to our newsletter to get notifications about our updates via email. If you have any queries, feel free to ask in the comments section below. Have a nice day!